Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Benefits of High Oil Prices

Over the last several months we have seen oil prices continue to soar. Not so long ago the infamous $100 a barrel psychological mark was reached. Today prices are hovering around the $135 mark give or take $10 (more on the give side).

Yet I must admit, I am ecstatic about oil prices being high, and remaining that way. Now, don't get me wrong, I myself have to make some hard sacrifices to stay economically sound. Yet, even with that said, I still want gas prices to remain high and go up to about $7-$9 for a gallon of gas.

For starters people need to realize that the answer to our oil problem is not more oil. For example, I believe If we allow drilling in ANWR, by the time we see that oil, demand would have risen enough to offset any real price reductions, and even if that is not the case, it will take years for oil from ANWR to reach the gas pumps.

Additionally, oil is a limited resource and whether it takes 20 years or 100 years we will eventually reach a point where consumption will be much greater than demand, also known as Peak Oil. Today's gas prices will be desirable compared to what they will be when demand outpaces supply.

Already we have seen people starting to use mass transit in their cities which undoubtedly reduces the number of cars on the roadways which means less pollution, and less deaths due to pollution. More people are walking and biking, which means a healthier lifestyle and as a nice little side effect this means lower health care costs and longer lives. Others, such as myself, are looking into moving within 5 - 10 miles of work, which will also mean less driving and the opportunity to bike or walk to work on nice days.

Lastly, high gas prices will spur the ingenuity and imagination of people to come up with alternative means of energy that are affordable and much cheaper than gas. I myself have pledged not to buy a new car until I can get at least 80 mpg, preferably an electric car, even if the range is only 100 miles before I have to recharge the battery.

I for one am hopeful that gas prices will continue to rise, because unfortunately it is the only way to encourage people to make the changes that are necessary for a healthier lifestyle and a cleaner environment, don't forget that global warming is also a problem that needs to be solved, and higher gas prices is the first step towards that end.

No comments: